Thursday, April 2, 2009

Good happens,......

It's never the wrong time to be grateful. In this whirl of worrying, so many "if"'s and "but"'s tossing us around, there is a surface at which an awareness of life's comedy, peace, and beauty can be breathed. When I am calm and patient inside, things actually happen. Good happens......
There is a vietnamese man who covers my real nails with artificial ones (I don't bite them this way). His English is not there yet, but tonight, after only a few casual questions, I learned that he is a brand new father with a month-old baby girl. This man, who has never said a word to me without being queried first, recently experienced something so pivotal and wondrous, and though I have seen him three times in the last month and a half, I never would have known if I hadn't been calm enough to volunteer a conversation and patient enough to wait for the words to form. How glad I am with choosing to be open and observant rather than sequestered by my own concerns. Just when I start feeling hopelessly misanthropic, something like this happens, my heart gushes with compassion and I love people again.

The bottom dweller

My photo
A highly civilized and refined animal limited mostly to the bottom of the atmosphere and prone to over analyzing what it's worth.