Friday, September 12, 2008

The Long, Congested Road

Seven hours is what I spent driving yesterday from Boston to NYC. The mysterious three extra hours were added by extra-terrestrial congestants. Stupid traffic. Traffic that would seem pointless. traffic for traffic's sake.
 It occurred to me as I sat for hours in the fog of environmental delinquency that such traffic happens all over the world-all the time.It happens on dirt roads to nowhere, but it also happens in "the greatest cities in the world". It happens at predicted places,for predictable stretches of road. So, without intending to initiate any logistical brainstorm, (though, if anyone has any systems engineering know-how-to, be my guest)isn't it strange that our cars aren't routinely clicked together and steadily drawn through congested areas (like a train)? 
...
Even with all of my clever, dead-end ideas, today I was still unable to scrape by a parked car's bumper without leaving it a little "bent out of shape". No one ever warned me about the slanted parking spaces that one should only pull into from the gentler side. Nor was I informed that scraping and bending another bumper makes the same amount of noise as not scraping and bending one. Perhaps, the loud squealing and grinding which occurs when one "can't park" only ever existed in my imagination. But, today the damage was done without a sound. I would have heard it with my open windows ....
(So,If one car scrapes another car in the forest and no one is around to hear it, then would it make a sound?)


Yes, the best idea yet would be for me to learn how to drive. I know. But, maybe as a "#2", after that, car manufacturers could design a lego-like bumper. The bonked places could simply fall off to be replaced by other inexpensive duplicates. 
One could walk into any evil department store and say "Uh, Yea, I need a Rear #3 bumper chunk." The front and rear bumpers could be split up into 10 sections. #3 could be the third from the left. It could only cost twenty dollars or so,...
Manufacturers could even be so kind as to make these bumper replacement chunks universal. 
Alas, such ideas are bad for the economy. And anyway, the angry old man has grandsons who may be able to unbump the bumper back into its original hump. 

No comments:

The bottom dweller

My photo
A highly civilized and refined animal limited mostly to the bottom of the atmosphere and prone to over analyzing what it's worth.